Grapes + Dog = Potential Disaster/Toxicity

Dog lovers everywhere: here’s an eye opener. Beware the toxicity of grapes and raisins and the damage they can do to your beloved canine pet.

Read this: The consumption of grapes and raisins presents a potential health threat to dogs. Their toxicity to dogs can cause the animal to develop acute renal failure (the sudden development of kidney failure) with anuria (a lack of urine production). The phenomenon was first identified by the Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), run by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). A trend was seen as far back as 1999.[1] Approximately 140 cases were seen by the APCC in the one year from April 2003 to April 2004, with 50 developing symptoms and seven dying.[2]

So, our beloved Cash was noshing away on the pretty, tasty grapes we’d been tending the last few years. This is the second year we’ve had some to share with our friends. Enough for our table, and enough to pass around. And the dog loved them. Then, there was that nagging little voice in my husband’s head (NOT MINE, MIND YOU!). “Do I recall you telling me grapes aren’t good for dogs?”. Hmmmmmmmmmm. A quick internet search, a call to the emergency vet, a call to the ASPCA Poison Center, and then a trip to the vet. Dog had to spend the night w/an IV of fluids. ($$$$$$$$).

So remember:

and

DO NOT MIX. Thank you. This was a public service announcement.