GBBD April 15, 2009

Friends and neighbors,
Here’s our paltry showing for this month. As I write this, the snow is coming down off the Foothills in a flurry of what I hope are the last gasps of winter. Go away snow.

A couple of technical notes on this month’s post, for Carol of May Dreams Gardens, queen bee and instigator of GBBD: Dear Carol, do the plants have to be in the ground, or just IN THE GARDEN? The pulsatilla and forget me nots are not planted. But blooming, so there!

This entry was posted in Favorite Nurseries, Journal entries. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to GBBD April 15, 2009

1. Laura says:

You’ve got a lot more blooming than I do- far from a paltry showing! :)

2. I agree with Laura, you’ve got a stunning Euphorbia, a cool Fritillaria, Crabapples, a gorgeous Hellebore & a bunch of other stuff. The Rhododendron really doesn’t clash hardly at all with the bricks. I’ve seen much worse. And yes, you can include plants you just bought if you want.

3. gail says:

I am still chuckling over the nice dandelion shot you snuck in there! Loved it and so do the very early bees! Yikes about the weather! gail

4. Victoria says:

I really think they have to be planted! Ha ha. Actually, I’m sure any blooms work for GBBD.

5. Sweet Bay says:

Yeah, I noticed that dandelion too. lol Goldfinches love them.

Your GBBD show is lovely.

6. Catherine says:

You have quite a bit blooming! I love the hellebore. I think as long as they’re flowers they should count! Hope you don’t get much snow!

7. Dear Mary Ann, For Bloom Day, we will accept any flower in the garden, but you need to get those new blooms planted soon! And what was that one shot with the mountain view in the background? That was “over the top”! Thanks for joining in for bloom day!

8. Lauri Fredrickson says:

I am desperately looking for help in keeping a hydrangea alive here in Meridian, Idaho and stumbled upon your website. Since it looks like you have hydrangeas I’m hoping you can help me. I am from Oregon and love hydrangeas where they grow prolifically with very little effort. We have lived in Idaho for 7 years and I have killed one hydrangea for every year I have lived here, and had finally given up on them. Only to have my sweet husband buy me a huge pink merritt’s supreme variety as a “can I please get out of the doghouse now” gift. Now I’m going to be the one in the doghouse if I let this one die. The tag says sun to partial shade, but I know from experience with my earlier attempts that it seems that any sun just fries these poor babies in July and August. My problem is I only have a small area in my backyard that gets enough shade for the bush, and I’ve already tried planting one hydrangea there that didn’t survive. Can you give me any advice on where to plant and what soil mixture to use that may help?

Thank you so much, and I love your site. Can’t wait to explore it more!

Lauri Fredrickson

9. The hellebores (I think that’s what I saw) are very lovely. We can’t grow them in our heat so I’ve never seen one in real life. Thanks for sharing the photos. They seem as exotic as something from another planet.

10. Cindy, MCOK says:

Like Carol, I lovedlovedloved that shot of the crabapple/peach/cherry? with the mountains in the distance. Wonderful slideshow, MA!

11. Loved the scilla, Rhododendron, hellebore, euphorbia and forsythia, miss those darling pulsatillas, think I saw Clove currant and maybe some kind of Fritillaria. Even the dandelion was cool, Mary Ann, but a PINK forget-me-not? That’s just wrong ;-]

Happy Blooming Day,

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

12. You have more blooming than me, too. Not even my dandelions are blooming yet. It was a nice slideshow.

Comments are closed.